October 17, 2011

The Library Today

The previous post led me to information on the library's Collections Management and Preservation Department where I found that they are running a huge digital library project using the Kramerius System. Unfortunately I had issues downloading the plug-in required to view the images so I haven't seen them. So far there are more than 8 million scanned pages of documents in various languages. To find out more about this project (and to see if you can download the plug-in) follow this link.
The National Library of the Czech Republic coordinates the Manuscriptorium project, another digital library collecting historical resources from across Europe and beyond.
Bohdana Stoklasova is the Director of Library Collections and Services and in the following video she is talking about the digital library.

(svobodat59 2011)
Unfortunately it's a rather poor quality video.

While we're talking digital, if you have any interest in viewing the archive of the Czech Web - go here.

The website of the National Library of the Czech Republic is amazing. There is so much information that I found myself lost in it for hours, continually following links. What I love is that so much is available in English.
I was originally going to post about a couple of specific collections but I thought perhaps I would just note some of the interesting things I stumbled across whilst browsing.

One thing that jumped out at me was the mention in the general information that the library's services are only available to people over the age of 15. But that's not to say parents can't take their children in and access children's literature. I found that they have books such as '101 Dalmations' and '1000 cars and trucks' (Czech versions) in the stacks that can be requested to the reading room.

For library professionals the Czech Library and Information Science Portal holds useful information.

This image doesn't do justice to the beauty of the library but it does give you a look at the different reading rooms inside.

(Plan of the NL 2006)

References

Foltyn, T 2009,
Welcome to the Kramerius Information Portal!, Kramerius Information Portal, viewed 17 October 2011, < http://kramerius-info.nkp.cz/ > .

Manuscriptorium 2011, AiP Beroun s.r.o, viewed 17 October 2011, < http://www.manuscriptorium.com/ >.

svobodat59 2011, MVI_1236.MOV, 25 May, viewed 18 October 2011, < http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aXsjLIgDK3s#! >.

WebArchiv - Archive of the Czech Web 2011, The National Library of the Czech Republic, viewed 18 October 2011, < http://en.webarchiv.cz/ >.

'Plan of the NL' [image] in For Users & Researchers 2006, National Library of the Czech Republic, viewed 4 September 2011, < http://www.nkp.cz/_en/pages/page.php3?nazev=Plan_of_the_NL&submenu3=90 >.


Czech Library and Information Science Portal n.d., National Library of the Czech Republic, viewed 18 October, < http://knihovnam.nkp.cz/english/ >.



No comments:

Post a Comment