Scope
My intention is to research the National Library of the Czech Republic, which is currently housed in the Klementinum complex of historical buildings. I want to cover the history of the Klementinum, which dates back to the 11th century, up to 1990 when the library was named the National Library.
I will cover some of the 21st century events of the library and also the collections housed in the library today.
Outline
My blog posts will begin looking at the history of the Klimentinum complex from its beginnings in the 11th century as a chapel through medieval times as a monastery that merged with the university and then as a Jesuit college in the 17th century.
The Jesuits set the foundation for what we see today.
I will cover three events of the 21st century. In 2002 there was major flooding in Europe and Prague was severely affected. The National Library embarked on a process to save as much of its collection through freezing the works then implementing various technologies to dry them. I will look into how well this worked.
In 2005 the National Library was the recipient of the UNESCO Jikji Prize. I will look into what this is and why it was awarded to the NLP.
In 2006 The National Library of the Czech Republic in cooperation with UIA – Union Internationale des Architectes, International Union of Architects announced The International Architectural Design Competition for the architectural design and choice of an architect for the project documents of The New Building of the National Library of the Czech Republic in Prague. In 2007 the winner was announced but much controversy followed. I will look at the design and search for the various reactions to it and I will look into what the current situation is.
I want to also cover the collections of the library today. Part of the NLP is the Slavonic Library, one of the most important Slavistic libraries in Europe. I will look into the establishment of the library and what it means to the public today by contacting Czech friends in Prague.
I will look into the Music Department, which holds the Mozart Memorial Collection and the Manuscripts and Early Printed Books Department, which includes approximately 4,200 incunabula.
No comments:
Post a Comment